Zanzibar is everything you imagine of an Indian Ocean Island – mile upon mile of beautiful beaches lined with palm trees and turquoise waters. The relaxed pace of island life is evident the moment you step off the plane.
Go on spice tours, taste local dishes and walk the cobbled streets of the capital’s old quarter Stone Town, now a World Heritage Site buzzing with colourful back-street markets and local flavours. And then of course there are the Zanzibar beaches: perfect for anyone who simply wants to enjoy a lazily luxurious beach vacation - Zanzibar and its outlying islands are home to some of the finest beaches in East Africa as well as a number of its best dive sites.
BEST TIME TO VISIT ZANZIBAR
Zanzibar’s weather pattern is divided up in to dry and wet seasons. Its main rainy season lasts from March to May, with tropical downpours virtually every day, high humidity and temperatures in the mid 30s. There is another, shorter, rainy season in November and December, however these rains tend to be lighter and less predictable.
The best time to visit the island is between June and October as the rains will have dried up and the temperature will be hot but not unbearable. This is also the best time to go scuba diving as visibility will be at its peak. Visiting at the beginning of the dry season is usually a good option as the island will still be lush and hydrated from the wet season. Visiting in January and February is also recommended as this is usually a dry period between the two rainy seasons.
- Best Time to Visit Zanzibar: June - October
- High Tourist Season: June - October
- Low Season: March - May
- All Seasons: June - October (spring), November - February (summer), March - May (monsoon)
- The best time to visit Zanzibar is between June - October, during the warm and dry spring months.
- Another good time to travel to Zanzibar is between December - February, when the November showers have ended, and the weather becomes warm and dry again.
- The monsoon months in Zanzibar are between March - May, and it is not recommended to visit the islands during these months, as your tourist experiences will be limited.
- There will be some showers during November as well, but not as heavy as during March - May.
- July - August, and February - March are when to visit Zanzibar if you are interested in going for scuba diving, or other water sports.
WHAT TO PACK FOR ZANZIBAR HOLIDAYS
The coastal regions of Pemba and Zanzibar have significant Muslim majorities and some sensitivity to cultural dress codes is important. We advise you to cover up your shoulders and up to your knees, especially if you are in areas less visited by tourists.
The sun in Africa is intense and uncomfortable. Dehydration is common. We advise our guests to drink as much water as possible. Wet wipes are also advisable to keep cool. Please bring a sunscreen of at least factor 20-30 to prevent sunburn and sunstroke. Dark glasses and a good hat or cap that shades the face are essential.
Every trip and traveler is unique. However, our team and the processes that support our guests are consistent. With our destination expertise and round the clock support on offer, we look forward to planning your private, safe and tailor-made trip of a lifetime in Zanzibar and Tanzania.