Mount Meru is an often overlooked, but spectacular volcano located in the center of Arusha National Park. At 14,980 feet high, Meru serves as a great warm up to Mount Kilimanjaro or a complete standalone hike in it of itself. The crowds that can plague Kilimanjaro are non-existent here, allowing for a solitary, peaceful trek. Accommodations are in wood huts.
On the lower slopes of the mountain and inside the park, there is a good chance of spotting animals. An armed ranger will accompany your party on the first stage to protect against any wildlife threats. The trail follows the north rim of the crater, along a dramatic ridgeline. Once at the summit, the views of Mount Kilimanjaro and down into Meru crater are unforgettable.
Tanzania Horizon Safaris offers Mount Meru as a four day private climb. However, clients from different parties and operators are often combined to walk with the armed ranger on the lower slopes.
Mount Meru is ideal for altitude acclimatization and you may elect to climb Mount Kilimanjaro with a lower number of days after climbing Meru. Many people who climb both mountains have a quiet preference for the humble Mount Meru. Although about 4,000 feet lower than Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Meru is still a very tall mountain. Do not underestimate Mount Meru. Altitude acclimatization is still the key to a successful summit Meru.
Tanzania Horizon Safaris offers Mount Meru as four private climb. However, clients from different parties and operators are often combined to walk with the armed ranger on the lower slopes.
The prices include
• Private transport to & from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your accommodations in Moshi.
• 2 nights of accommodation at Hotel
• Transportation to & from the Meru gate
• Park entry fees,
• Accommodation in wooden cabins on the mountain
• Camping fees
• Team Meru Rescue fees
• 18% VAT on tour fees & services
• 4 Season mountain tents
• Double layered Sleeping Mats
• Friendly and professional mountain guides, cook and porters
• 3 hot meals daily while on the mountain
• Enough treated & filtered drinking water throughout the trek
• Hot water for washing
• Fair wages for the mountain crew
• Government taxes
• Portable oxygen tanks & ox meter
• Emergency first-aid kit
Not included in price
– Lunches, dinners and drinks at your hotel before and after climb
– Travel insurance
– Laundry (Available at hotel)
– Personal items and toiletries
– Tips for guides, porters and cook
Tipping on Mount Meru per group per day:
• Guides: $20/day/guide
• Cook: $15/day
• Porter: $10/day/porter